Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Euro_Adventure - Belarus Baby

We finally made it to our destination, Belarus! The whole point of our trip, other than to have loads of fun and travel around Europe, was to make it to Belarus, surprise Igor's family and go to Igor's school reunion. We arrived in Minsk on Friday night and Igor's friend Serge picked us up. We were to stay at this place for the evening before heading to Zaslonovo , where Igor's parents live. When we arrive I greeted Serge's wife in Russian, my accent was so good that she thought I spoke Russian, boy was she shocked! hahaha

We had a lovely dinner with Serge and his wife, they made us fish and lots of other yummy food to eat. I had a nice conversation with Nastia (short for Anastasia) who wanted to practice her English. Igor showed Serge all the cool stuff that he had been working on (programming).

In the morning Serge took us quiet early to the bus station where we caught a bus to Zaslonovo. The ride was about 3 hour, at one point I really needed to go to the bathroom but there were no bathrooms for awhile, but don't worry I managed to be ok until we got to the bus station in Lepel ( the bi town near Igor's family).

We finally arrived in Zaslonovo in the late afternoon. Once there we encountered our first hurtle, the building has a locked front door and an intercom system. Not wanting to buz his parents flat and alter them, Igor enlisted the services of one young boy from the next building who called every flat until someone opened the door. I believe it was the lovely #19 who let us in.

look at this happy guy!


Once in the building we walked a bunch of flights of stairs to the top where his parents apartment is. Igor hit the door bell, placed his hand over the peep whole so anyone inside couldn't see outside. At first we didn't hear any movement, then the lock turned and the door opened very slowly.

It took Igor's father a few seconds to realize who Igor was, at first he says he thought that Igor was a sales man!

We had a good laugh put our bags down and then went to Igor's mother's work, she is a nurse at the military base hospital, not 5 minutes walk from Igor's house.

The video below is of the surprise, unfortunately not being well prepared or very familiar with my camera (major fail) the video I took is in ultra slow motion. As with many accidents in art, I actually like the ultra slow motion better as you can see ever expression as it crosses his mothers face.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Hi!!! Remember me? :) So cool, love the pics. It's good to see you and your adventures. Hope you have an awesome time