Saturday, August 9, 2014

the Neice, The Cousin, The Brother, and more

Late on Wednesday Igor's brother Vasily (Vasil) arrived with his new daughter (3 months old), His wife Maryna and his cousin Masha (from Orsha). Thursday we went swimming most of the day and just visited with the new arrivals. Friday was another very full day. We got up relatively early and drove into Minsk with Igor's brother (for sake of easy we will call him Vasily Jr, because this is going to get confusing here in a minute). The purpose of our visit was so that Vasily jr could make a payment on a flat that he recently purchased in Minsk (it is still being built and their plan is, once finished to rent it).

We figured that while we were in Minsk for the day we might as well have some fun, so when Vasily Jr had made his payment we went over to the Central Park in Minsk where there is an amusement park of sorts and played there for a little bit. We went on a fairs-wheel (~150ft high) then Vasily Jr and Igor went on some sort of tilt-a-whirl ride that I could only look at periodically. And!!! I got a picture of the ride that Masha and Igor had gone on in Orsha, for you, so see below for those.
Vasily Jr.'s Flat will be in the building on the right
On the fairs-wheel

Vasily Jr. and Masha

Minsk from 150ft up

View of where we started
Igor in action
Ohhh the spinny-ness

Ride from Orsha


We headed home at about 2:30ish and then after a short rest we went to Zamosa (the village) for another Russian Sauna experience and another Family BBQ. Here where I promised it would get interesting; in attendance were Vasily Sr., Vasily Jr., Other Vasily, Maryna, Iryna, Zena, Masha, Babushka, Igor and I :).
After another rather amusing Sauna experience where the tree branch beating was a little more beating like (lets put it this was, I was picking pieces of tree leaves off me for the rest of the night lol) I got to have another lovely and unexpected Belarusian experiences...I got stung by a wasp.

You know how they say that Red heads of a lower pain threshold than others and that it takes more to knock us out, numb us, and overall deal with our pain. Well let's say that getting stung by a wasp sent radiating shock waves of pain through out my whole shoulder and even into my neck. I yelled, and then cried like a little girl. Igor told me later that Zena catches wasps and let's them sting her on purpose. Supposedly it is some old folk remedy for something to do with veins. All I have to say to that is Zena is one tough broad.

Anyhow, other than that we had a lovely evening. My shoulder hurt for the rest of it and then when I woke up this morning it was incredibly itchy, which is what Zena told me would happen. Stupid wasp.

Fish cooked Belarusian style

Vasily Sr. with Rita (the baby) and Iryna trying to get her to smile

whatever she did worked

Vasily being spotted by the ladies while holding the baby

Happy grandparents

Mommy and the baby (she looks like a little monkey holding on to a tree branch)

Igor

The women of the family

Katie playing at the well

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Cute!!! Did they like the clothes?!!!