
I decided that after Lisa and my jaunt out tonight that another blog about the Bristol nightlife was beyond necessary for many reasons, which, I am sure, you will soon understand. But, to make you wait in agonizing suspense of my musings on the Bristolian youth I will relate the rest of my day. I know I can tell by the chorus of exasperated disgust noises that you wish I would just get to the good part already and so I will venture to make it as short and sweet as possible so that you too can participate in our humorous thoughts on the night clubbing crowd.
So here we go. Today was the day of the Bristol bus tour; our chance to see Bristol the über touristy way, by double-decker open topped bus. The only way to see a British city. Thankfully for us it was a pretty warm day by British weather standards and there were blue sky’s and no rain, which when you do a outside bus tour is generally a good thing, unless you like sitting in rain covered seats with a yellow poncho on and of course if you enjoy looking like a fisherman. I don’t happen to enjoy that so I was, at least, very glad when we arrived and it was sunny. The bus was about 20 or 30 minutes late, and at least I didn’t realize that it was going to be one of those hop on hop sort of city buses, not that it makes much difference really. We got to see all the different parts of Bristol, which is deceiving on a map because everything looks really far apart but in actuality the only dissuading factor from walking around the whole city is the fact that there are San Francisco sized hills everywhere. I know, you think England and mountainous hills, the two don’t normally go together but I guess this and Scotland are the exceptions to that. Moving on quickly, Lisa and I decided that there is one particular district that has many interesting looking pubs that we will have to go and try out. Hopefully they are nice to students and give us a discount…hopefully. Anyways, so the tour was really good apart from the narrators mic cutting out, which was distracting. Afterwards, Lisa and I decided (Jeanne went home to rest up, she is still not feeling really well) to venture out to the Christmas Steps, a really cool little area that, when everything is open (we arrived too late I think), houses some cool kind of shops that make a nice alternative to big out door shopping mall. We identified where we had ended up the other night when we met our little friend Dan by this one particular shop that looks like it belongs on University Ave in San Diego or the Castro in S.F. but enough about that. After finding the easiest way back to the city centre ( it really isn’t hard…at least not in the daylight hours) we walked the harbour and then up towards Clifton and the University (which are right next to each other really I think we just keep making wrong turns and that is how we end up lost all the time). So that was the end of that part of the day and we definitely got our exercise in. Who needs a gym when you have a city that can act as one for you? Honestly? :0)
Later, Lisa and I met up again to go see a movie. We saw “Fame” it’s not that great, really, its not. I love original but this new remake has been modernized (of course, obviously, right) and then made more family friendly or as Lisa said “Kid safe” lol. Ok so now on to the fun part.
Lisa and I have come up with a new game, so to speak. It’s based on a rating system that started out on a scale of like 300 hundred but that has now more reasonably been made into a scale of 1 to 10. The scale is to rate the uncomfortability ( I realize this is not a word but for the purpose of this exercise it is) of dress wear sported by the girls in Bristol. To be honest, these girls put even the most die hard of San Diego and L.A. girls to shame, and that is really saying something! This is how the system works, for the most part: We rate based on length or rather lack of length of the skirt/dress/shirt, whatever you want to call it, because let’s be honest, if you can see their underwear I hardly think that qualifies as a skirt or a dress, but perhaps that is just me. Next criteria is the height of shoes. Most seem to range around the 3 ½ to 5 inch mark, how they don’t fall over by shear force of gravity I really don’t know. For me I think it is the air in their heads that keeps them upright but I haven’t really ever talked to any of them so perhaps that is a bit rude and premature of a comment. So let’s say that they have just developed the ability to stay standing, at least part of the time, while they walk up the uneven cobblestone ,hilly streets and sidewalks of Bristol. (what I want to see is them do it when they are drunk! That would be really amusing or impressive….) Then the final criteria, at least to this point, is how revealing their shirts is. Plunging necklines, backless, strapless and all manner of skin showing is an absolute must, I guess. Regardless, Lisa and I saw a few 9’s (10 being the most uncomfortable possible) and about a football stadium full of 8’s. I would absolutely love to find a café to sit at and watch the white trash competition ensue every Friday and Saturday night, if for nothing else just for the people watching abilities that it presents. And I must say that I have to agree with Lisa, this display is the exact opposite of what the women’s empowerment movement was all about. This is like the biggest meat market ever because I can almost guarantee those girls are not dressing like that for themselves, but for the reaction they receive. I guess everyone has their thing though, just glad that I was both warm and comfortable in my jeans, sneakers and cozy jacket, which is a heck of a lot more than I can say for any of the girls out there tonight! By the way, it is 11 C here, which is approx. 52 F. just so that you have an idea, how cold these girls must be, not warm that is for sure.
2 comments:
Haha, that's great! We'll have to get a hidden camera or something, cause my friends at home at least have trouble believing it's really this bad. But it is. (",)
Where are the pictures? I want to see pictures. Not only of the 9s and 10s but also of your friends.
Post a Comment