Sunday, December 27, 2009

You want me to get up how early??

I wanted to make sure that I was up to date on postings before I left for Norway on Tuesday. So here we go. Last week I went to Stonehenge and watched a "traditional" Druid ceremony to celebrate the Suns ability to raise again after the longest night of the year. (It also marks the days getting longer again and the ceremony has a lot to do with the Druid Sun god, shocking!! =0)
Five of my friends and I took the train to Salisbury and then the bus to Amesbury, where we had booked to hotel rooms. Our hotel was just a five minute tax ride from Stonehenge. When we arrived in Amesbury we had a 15 minute walk to the industrial section of Amesbury where our hotel set. Once we had all settled in we found a pub right next door and when in for some dinner. We finished dinner and decided to take a hike back into Amesbury center and find a pub. The problem with this, you see, is that Amesbury is a very, very tiny town and really only has three pubs. We finally found one that looked like it would suit 6 archaeologists and went in had some drinks and then headed back home early (in archaeologist terms) since we knew that we were going to have to get up in the morning.
Sunrise was at 7:40 AM and they were letting people into the henge by 7:30AM. So we got there at 7Am to make sure that we were able to have a primo view of the event. It was absolutely freezing and by the end of it I couldn't feel my toes, other than that I knew it hurt to walk on them. It had snowed all day the previous day and so we were basically standing in about an inch of snow for an hour. I had heavy waterproof hiking boots on but all the same. Not to complain but just to relate how very chili we all were. Well maybe not Josh since is from Maine and kept saying that we were all wimps. =0)
Over all the experience was great. There was lots of drum beating and flute playing. One guy who recited some terrible poetry and others said some prayers for the next year to be fruitful and peaceful throughout the world. It wasn't what I expected but that doesn't mean that it wasn't fun. It was definitely a once in a life time experience, going to Stonehenge and being there on the morning that it was built to celebrate.

Check out the pictures Below from the event.
Josh Dunn

"Big C"
(Not all of these pictures where taken by me.)



No comments: