Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Exmoor Finale and Bath


Day 4: We were told to be ready to go at “half eight” (8:30AM) to take a walk and see some WWII memorial paintings that were found on the inside a barn just down the way from our hostel. The area of Exford and Exmoor during WWII was the home of many American military boys, training up and moving out to the east to fight; it is no real surprise that such murals exist in this area. It was quite nice but we didn’t leave the hostel until after 9, so much for being ready early.
MAASM (MA in Archaeology for Screen Media, which is my group) (left to right Top Row: Big C, Terri, Ellie and Phil. Bottom Row: Avantika, Devika, Karen, Ros, Pods, Leanne, Me and Rubie) were with the landscape archaeologists for our last day, which meant no Mark Horton. However, we got to listen to Dr. Paula Gardiner, who is just a wonderful lecturer. She took us down to the beach, just off the moors where we got to see a submerged forest. It was low tide, which made it possible to see them but you had search for the trees, none the less they were there! (Leanne and I got cream tea at lunch! I think we found the most expensive one in all of southern England but it was worth it!)
Then it was up on to the moors for prehistoric rock circles and Bronze Age sites. The weather started to turn bad just as we were packing into the Landies and mini bus to leave. Four days of beautiful weather and no rain, amazing!

On our way home, we got lost, turned around, missed our exit(s) off the M5, made a mini bus tour of the outlying area of Bristol and finally got home an hour later than our fellow classmates.

I went home after our lovely and overly long ride home, took a shower and then went out with Jeanne and Lisa. Saturday morning I woke up late (10AM), got dressed, did some grocery shopping and then met up with Lisa and Jeanne to go into Bath.

Our day in Bath was lovely. (These two were really quite good at drumming). I got a cream tea and we walked the city enjoying the buildings and the mystic of walking the same roads as Jane Austen. I saw the place where they filmed Persuasion so I was a very happy girl, cream tea and Jane Austen, almost a perfect day. We went home and Jeanne left us. Lisa and I met up later and went out…as usual. (Turns out that Jeanne, having been sick for the better part of two weeks had the flue, possibly swine flue, at least that is what the doctor that she went to see thought and decided to put on a full biohazard suit to examine her. Lol a bit much, no?)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

OH! I love Bath! I love Austen! I wish I was there to experience as you! uhhh!!! Jealousy is setting in!